Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tacos




Though many come to mind, this post isn't about the various curse words available for use in Spanish (called tacos). Instead it is a simple reflection on my disappointment with Atlanta's lack of food trucks (mobile restaurants for you p.c. folks). I recently completed a 30 day trip across the United States and discovered that I have been missing out on a beautiful food trend that has been rocking fooder taste buds for a while. All across the southwest and west coast (and any other reasonably developed city) I encountered delightful treats for very reasonable prices. Varieties ranged from tacos de lengua or cabeza al estilo D.F., korean tacos, middle eastern shawarma and gyros, Hawaiian bbq and oh so many Thai noodle shacks. Portland and Seattle were teaming with these things. They had plazas and squares devoted to local food vendors.

So why in Odin's beard, is Atlanta, a metro area of about 5.4 million people not joining the noble cause and rapidly devouring these taste-laden gifts from the gods? To be honest I haven't quite lived here long enough to do the research, so I'm going to start hunting the info. down. Presumably it's the same type of obfuscations that keep me from enjoying a frosty adult beverage on a Sunday should I open the fridge and find that the reason my head is pounding is because my friends and I actually polished off every drop of alcohol the night before.

Let us cast off this unwarranted film sticking to our senses and begin to delight in the exhilirating fare that a simple truck vendor can bring to the urban scene. Feel free to drop any comments here as I am quite frankly unaware of any information that probably would be necessary to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment